Friday, July 30, 2010
Cultural Relationships with Design
1) After reading about the Celts and their history, how has their culture filtered through to modern society both in Australia and the world in general.
The Celts originate from much of (western and north-western) Europe including the United Kingdom, Ireland, Germany and some parts of Asia-minor such as Turkey. They have a vast history dating back 3000 years. Their culture has not remained stagnant it has grown and there is evidence of Celtic inspiration throughout modern society, In Australia and the world in general. The Celts have influenced people greatly throughout their Knott works, largely in tattoo's. Celtic symbols and designs are also incorporated today in art, weaving, calligraphy, jewellery, and music.
2) Aboriginal art is definitely visual. It is also much more to it’s artists and people. Can you comment on what a cultures art might mean to its people and how it can socially affect itself and other cultural groups.
Aboriginal art is visual because it is meant to communicate. Like many cultures aboriginal people have a system of beliefs, and they used visual communication (what we call art now) as well as dance and speech to tell stories of their Gods, heroes and great events. These paintings and engravings were passed down with teachings through generations in order to keep that story/legend/event remembered. Like the Celts and the Chinese the aboriginals although one race had various language groups and tribes, (as some still do today). Here is one example of how the Aboriginals used art and what it meant to them and how it affected itself and other cultural groups. The aboriginal people would put Warrior spirits in some locations which are painted in the land (tree's, caves, rocks, bark, ect.) and depicted as being threatening, they do this in certain areas such as a deep watering holes, to tell the people that its very dangerous to venture near or/and at particular times. Although I would not get that message and I do not go out of my way to look at aboriginal art I find the meaning behind it fascinating because I like stories and I do respect it as it holds great meaning to its people whether it be a story of a Bunyip, a funeral ceremony or a kangaroo every piece of aboriginal art has a deeper meaning behind it.
3) M.C. Escher’s work is highly detailed. Most designers and lay people are highly impressed by his work and dedication to his art. Why?
I guess most designers and lay people (such as architects) are highly impressed because his work is impressive I love his metamorphosis pieces my favorite so far is "Magic Mirror" among others and he is truly dedicated to his work he has admitted that he is addicted to it. His use of symmetry and creating shapes with regular division is really hard not to be impressed by, he would turn these shapes into motifs of fish, heads, birds, bats the list goes on. Escher would sketch and then turn his sketches into amazing woodcuts. All of Escher's work had fine detail in it, you can see from the detail evident in his work that Escher has a great dedication and I think because he didn't have technology to help him (not like he needed it) that this is why in addition that it is so impressive. Escher's obsession to fill the plane with pieces and to leave no unoccupied space is intriguing as this led him to what he has done today, his supposed impossible structures (such as "Waterfall"), his lithographs, woodcuts, wood engravings, drawings and sketches throughout his entire life. I believe that most designers and lay people have a high appreciation for Escher's work because they know how hard he would have worked and the time he would have spent on each work and each motif in order to get that result and this I think other than the obvious fact that his work is sensational is why they find it impressive.
4) What is so interesting about art and culture of the past?
Art and culture of the past is interesting because it gives us an insight of what was going on back then and how the art and culture has grown/expanded throughout today's world. Most art and culture of the past doesn't simply associates us with the past but also reflects the attitudes and concerns of the present. Modern art and culture is developed from the past or traditions used in the past, and many of these styles and themes can be traced to old art forms. The art and culture of today's world is in some cases are extremely different to what it was in the past due to technology and the way people are today. I think the art and culture of the past inspires us to either do the same or make it better (or worse in some cases). I believe art and culture of the past is interesting because it is always compared with the present and what we learn from the past can either help us in the future or we can choose to ignore it all together and make the same mistakes.
5) Why look backwards to our history when trying to engage in design solutions for
modern society? Give Examples…
Why not? I believe that by looking back in time you will benefit because not only will it give you another look at/on things but sequentially it will widen your outlook on everything. It will also save you alot of time/work if you think of something that has already been done, instead you can use this as "inspiration" to better your idea (or think of something else) use it to find new ways to approach and engage in design solutions in modern society. Most of the time in modern graphic design the inspiration comes from (sub/consciously) art styles from the past. You can combine new art with old art in order to get something different because most things have already been done, by doing this you can create amazing modern art work. Modern forms of art and culture, much like the past forms, provide not only entertainment, and communication but also an escape for the modern life and from the problems of a modern world. People back then didn't watch television, they didn't have the internet, mobile phones, any or many electronic gadgets that are now deemed necessary in today's world. People back then would listen to the radio, read newspapers and magazines, play sports, socialize, study and/or work. So we have only changed with the technology most people today still do all or many of those things. When looking back to our history when trying to engage in design solutions for modern society we either want to see what worked for design back then and if it will work now (and also what didn't work). And/or we want to gain inspiration from something that we don't see everyday something old but turned new (or new to some) something that some people can relate to and something that will compete with everything else in modern society. For instance not only has Piet Mondrian's work influenced the design of modern architecture, and print layouts, he also influenced the Minimalist style in modern designs such as the Mondrian style vase, and Mondrian influenced Nike shoes. Many artists have/or have been influenced by art Movements which have influenced modern designs and designers today and this is evident in their works.
6) How has ancient art affected your life? Give examples…
I think when you are around ancient art you become immersed in the culture of the art so if you are surrounded by spectacular statues you feel like you are back in time and that event happened and you feel a part of that history even though it was quite a few thousand years ago, you still become affected. Ancient art holds the history of cultures, it is meant to tell of an event or story that they wanted remembered like the Greek gods and the stories that go with them. I find inspiration in these things, not only in the ancient Greek art but also Japanese art as well. I am Greek so ancient Greek art would be the most prominent art that has affected my life. Through ancient art I have learned to appreciate art forms that I may not find aesthetically pleasing but I understand that they have a purpose and meaning for example I do not find most aboriginal art and I think some of the pottery of ancient Greek art is not aesthetically pleasing to me at all, However I understand that they are communicating and recording an event in history and I respect that. I enjoy the Hellenistic sculptures of ancient Greece purely because they are amazing, numerous are flawless and are very realistic, most carved from marble with astounding detail not to mention the size of some of the sculptures. My interest in this directed me to an interest in the Baroque Style. The Japanese art of the Edo period led me to an interest in Japanese ukiyo-e woodblock prints other than the famous Katsushika Hokusai I became interested in Utagawa Hiroshige (this then directed me to Van Gogh because he was highly influenced by Hiroshige). Through this I have also taken an interest in many contemporary Japanese artists (Takashi Murakami) and styles of art.
7) What cultural influence has occurred in your life. Give examples…
There are heaps of cultural influences in my life but I think the main cultural influence in my life is the Greek culture as it is my heritage, however I can't lie I do think that I'm am highly influenced by pop culture. Although I still I make my own decisions (even if they are sometimes influenced by society) like the brands and shiny things (the newest technology) I spend money on, I do not cut off everything else because society has deemed it to be unpopular, in some cases I find myself drawn to certain things because I like them and no-one else (or a minority) does. From having a strong interest in Greek Mythology (from my Greek influence) I looked into Japanese mythology, I'm now fascinated by the Japanese Culture very much. I think that Japanese block wood printing is very beautiful, and is something I have always wanted to do. Through nature and an interest of tree's I have found that I like bonsai's I find that taking care of a bonsai is relaxing and gives you time to reflect, I think this has influenced my art as I often like to draw weird tree's. Through my interest in the Japanese culture I have found that the influence of other things in my life have made me interested in Japanese cooking through my enjoyment of cooking in general and manga because I love comics. These influences that have occurred in my life affect the type of music I like, what food I eat, what clothes I wear, and who I am and how I go about my everyday life. If I didn't have these influences in my life I would be a different person.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment