Wednesday, October 13, 2010

BSBDES403A - BSBDES403A / INDUSTRY STUDIES

1. Business Ethics Study

Ethics are a part of everyday life, as in any business Graphic Design has business ethics. These guidelines and moral values help in making decisions. Some issues surrounding business ethics in relation to graphic design are what is right and wrong, because what is right and what we gain come into conflict and in turn we sometimes choose to ignore business ethics. For example doing the right thing in terms of charity/love jobs may mean you miss out on rent and get evicted, however you may make loyal clients and feel like a better person. Whereas doing the wrong thing will pay the rent and continue to provide for yourself although you may lose clients and feel guilty. Ultimately the decision is made by the designer influenced or not by their current situation and who they are and what they are capable of.

2. Style Study

1. How does having an open mind enable you to develop style?
By having an open mind I believe you open a door to endless experiences, by doing so you will get a better understanding of things . This in turn expands your knowledge, perspective and consequently this reflects in your work, where a style is developed.

2. Why is it important to have some unique skills and aesthetic elements in your creative process?
Having unique skills and aesthetic elements in your creative process is important because it makes you an individual, as well as people being able to recognise your style/work. consequently this can be practical if you can adapt because being the same is boring, however you must be capable of doing what everyone can do in order to excel, because you can also do it or you do it differently this make you stand-out, because you can set yourself apart from others in the industry.

3. Why should you research artists and hold small personal critiques on their work at regular intervals?
By researching artists and holding small personal critiques on their work you not only broaden your knowledge but also your skills. You can update and keep your knowledge current by looking at the artists structure and gathering facts of their work but also this will help you maintain your critiquing skills.

4. Why should you be aware of your likes/dislikes and your strengths/weaknesses?
Through experiences you become aware of what you do and don't like, this is also evident through your strengths and weaknesses. You should be aware of these as it's good to know what you are capable of and what you enjoy doing in order to avoid doing the things you don't like. Consequently it is good to know what are your weaknesses are in order to work on them and maximise your strengths.

5. Is style definitive or does it evolve for you?
I believe style for me is not definitive, I will have a fad or trend that I will like and follow but I always incorporate something different or find something else I will still have that style and experience It just won't be as specific, it can have many different characteristics, it evolves.

6. How does attitude affect your style and other professionals perception of you?
Attitude and emotions in general affect my style in terms of what I create when I am in a certain state and how I react to a situation as well in that state. I believe I am a passive aggressive person, so sometimes I am very mellow and sometimes I am very vigorous but when required I try and be professional, no matter what state I am in. I think this is reflected in my work and I believe my attitude does affect my style, I had a lot of fun creating my PS3/Wii cover. I believe because I enjoyed creating it the end result was good, but also because I was confident in using my strengths (Photoshop). I believe that professionals would perceive me as a bit timid but when I find something I can relate to I become very confident and I speak up. Also I think I would give the impression of a student because I have alot to learn.

7. What are habits and why is it important to be aware of them as a designer?
A habit is a way of behaving that is repeated, some habits are repeated so often that they no longer involve conscious thought. As a designer it is important to be aware of your habits in order to meet deadlines and manage budgets, your habits can also be seen as strengths and weaknesses. Some good habits are multitasking, prioritising, time management, and taking care of yourself (sleep, eat and clean right).

8. What does time management offer a designer?
Time management offers life organisation, it helps designers to meet deadlines and manage a budget. It's practical to have good time management skills in order to complete urgent and important tasks. However it also helps in managing a life where work co-exists and does not come into conflict with everyday life, such as spending time with family, friends, exercising, sleep, eating and watching a movie.

9. How do you improve your time management?
You can improve your time management by planning ahead, prioritising and setting out times for certain tasks and activities. It is important to find out your weaknesses or problems and find solutions. Start work when you get it or work in sections, so that you're not taking on the whole workload in one day. By doing so soon this will become a good habit and sequentially it will be rewarding.

10.What is a conscience and how does it affect both your style and your professional practice?
A conscience is an intuition that helps in judging right from wrong. Evidently it is also recognized as an instinct that everyone has and that everyone's conscience is different, which ultimately affects their actions and views. Towards my style and professional practice a conscience can affect the choices that I make, from the clients I deal with, the jobs I accept, and the outcome(s) of my work. This is called a conscience decision sometimes these decisions in your eyes are seen as being the right choice, however some may see it as being the wrong choice, they see this through their own conscience.

11. How do generally accepted morals and your own moral stance affect you deasign and you professional practice?
I believe generally accepted morals such as the views on murder, stealing, rape, human trafficking, ect. and my own moral stance are quite the same and within the majority of society's morals today, however customised for me. I think that morals affect my design, in terms of what I create, based on influences and what is accepted by society through experiences and my own assumptions. It affects my professional practice, in terms of how I perceive certain people, and things, and what clients I would deal with and work I would do. I feel quite strongly on some topics say the killing of whales, and if I was asked to design in favour of killing them I would not. I would be professional about it because it would be business, and in other cases I might even take into consideration how it would affect society and if the gain is worth the outcome, then based on that I would make a decision.

3. Study on Deadlines

1. What is a deadline?
A time limit, for completion of work or an assignment or payment of a debt
in other words the point in time at which something must be completed.

2. Whats involved in meeting a deadline on time?
Planning, Time Management, Preparation and Resources are all involved in meeting a deadline.

3. What are the consequences of breaking a deadline?
The consequences of breaking a deadline include the possibility of losing work, (being fired), bad reputation, the client also becomes effected and in turn may sue you for damages depending on the situation, it may become a re-occurring habit not only with work but with life in general.

4. What can you do to better meet deadlines?
To better meet your deadlines it helps if you are serious about them, they should be a priority. You should prepare, plan, talk to your client, and try to start it as soon as you get it so that you can change it if your client isn't happy. Good time management also helps in meeting a deadline but if all else fails do whatever it takes to make the deadline, work on it non-stop, stay up all night, get up early, and just get it done.

5. How do you prioritize deadlines?
I prioritize my deadlines from their importance, the amount of work required on them but also the date/time they are due.

6. How do deadlines alter the perception of businesses and individuals?
Making or breaking a deadline alters the perception of a business and individuals, if they break the deadline it can tarnish their reputation and may cause clients to leave. Meeting the deadline will result in a good reputation and happy clients who may help bring in more clients. As an individual not meeting a deadline can alter your perception by others and you may be perceived as being un-reliable.

7. How do general business deadlines differ from Graphic Design deadlines?
General business deadlines do not differ much from Graphic Design deadlines. I believe a deadline is a deadline, if you have been paid to do something by a certain date/time then it must be done no matter what your job is. When you are being paid to do/provide something, then you need to do it but also you need to make sure the customer happy with what you have done. So in some Graphic Design cases you might have 2 small deadlines to discuss the work with the client, making sure their expectations are being met and your work etc, before the actual deadline, which you would usually hand in the finished work.
This I think is one of the general rules when it comes to deadlines and applies to most businesses.

4. Study on cultural relationships with design

4. Study on cultural relationships with design

1. After reading about the Celts and their history, how has their culture filtered through to modern society both in Australia and the world in general.

The Celts originate from much of (western and north-western) Europe including the United Kingdom, Ireland, Germany and some parts of Asia-minor such as Turkey. They have a vast history dating back 3000 years. The Celts have influenced people greatly throughout their Knott works, largely in tattoo's. Celtic symbols and designs are also incorporated today in art, weaving, calligraphy, jewellery, and music. Their culture has not remained stagnant it has grown and there is evidence of Celtic culture filtered throughout modern society, In Australia and the world in general.

2. Aboriginal art is definitely visual. It is also much more to its artists and people. Can you comment on what a cultures art might mean to its people and how it can socially affect itself and other cultural groups.

Aboriginal art is visual because it is meant to communicate. Like many cultures aboriginal people have a system of beliefs, and they used visual communication (what we call art now) as well as dance and speech to tell stories of their Gods, heroes and great events. These paintings and engravings were passed down with teachings through generations in order to keep that story/legend/event remembered. Like the Celts and the Chinese the aboriginals although one race had various language groups and tribes, (as some still do today). Here is one example of how the Aboriginals used art and what it meant to them and how it affected itself and other cultural groups. The aboriginal people would put Warrior spirits in some locations which are painted in the land (tree's, caves, rocks, bark, ect.) and depicted as being threatening, they do this in certain areas such as a deep watering holes, to tell the people that its very dangerous to venture near or/and at particular times. Although I would not get that message making it known only to the minority, I respect it as it holds great meaning to its people whether it be a story of a Bunyip, a funeral ceremony or a kangaroo every piece of aboriginal art has a deeper meaning behind it.

3. M.C. Escher’s work is highly detailed. Most designers and lay people are highly impressed by his work and dedication to his art. Why?

I believe most designers and lay people (such as architects) are highly impressed because his work is impressive, he has admitted that he is addicted to his work and truly dedicated. His use of symmetry and creating shapes with regular division is really hard not to be impressed by, he would turn these shapes into motifs of fish, heads, birds, bats the list goes on, each just as detailed as the next. Escher would sketch and then turn his sketches into amazing woodcuts. All of Escher's work had fine detail in it, from the detail evident in his work that Escher is seen to have a great dedication and I think because he didn't have technology to help him that this is why in addition that it is so impressive. Escher's obsession to fill the plane with pieces and to leave no unoccupied space is intriguing as this led him to what he has done today, his supposed impossible structures (such as "Waterfall"), his lithographs, woodcuts, wood engravings, drawings and sketches throughout his entire life. I believe that most designers and lay people have a high appreciation for Escher's work because they know how hard he would have worked and the time he would have spent on each work and each motif in order to get that result and this I think other than the obvious fact that his work is sensational is why they find it impressive.

4. What is so interesting about art and culture of the past?

Art and culture of the past is interesting because it gives us an insight of what was going on back then and how the art and culture has grown/expanded throughout today's world. Most art and culture of the past doesn't simply associates us with the past but also reflects the attitudes and concerns of the present. Modern art and culture is developed from the past or traditions used in the past, and many of these styles and themes can be traced to old art forms. The art and culture of today's world is in some cases extremely different to what it was in the past due to technology and the way society is today. I think the art and culture of the past inspires us to either do the same or make it better (or worse in some cases). I believe art and culture of the past is interesting because it is always compared with the present and what we learn from the past can either help us in the future or we can choose to ignore it all together and make the same mistakes.

5. Why look backwards to our history when trying to engage in design solutions for
modern society? Give Examples…

I believe that by looking back in time you will benefit because not only will it give you another look at/on things but sequentially it will widen your outlook on everything.
It will also save you alot of time/work if you think of something that has already been done, instead you can use this as "inspiration" to better your idea (or think of something else) use it to find new ways to approach and engage in design solutions in modern society.
Most of the time in modern graphic design the inspiration comes from (sub/consciously) art styles from the past. When looking back to our history and trying to engage in design solutions for modern society we want inspiration and either want to see what worked for design back then and if it will work now (and also what didn't work). You can combine new art with old art in order to get something different because most things have already been done, by doing this you can create amazing modern art works. For instance not only has Piet Mondrian's work influenced the design of modern architecture, and print layouts, he also influenced the Minimalist style in modern designs such as the Mondrian style vase, and Mondrian influenced Nike shoes. Many artists are or have been influenced by art Movements which have influenced modern designs and designers today and this is evident in their works.

6. How has ancient art affected your life? Give examples…

Ancient art has opened many doors for me towards new artists, style, methods and cultures. I think when you are around ancient art you become immersed in the culture of the art so if you are surrounded by spectacular statues you feel like you are back in time and that event happened and you feel a part of that history even though it was quite a few thousand years ago, you still become affected. Ancient art holds the history of cultures, it is meant to tell of an event or story that they wanted remembered like the Greek gods and the stories that go with them. I find inspiration in these things, not only in the ancient Greek art but also Japanese art as well. Through ancient art I have learned to appreciate art forms that I may not find aesthetically pleasing but I understand that they have a purpose and meaning for example I do not find most aboriginal art and I think some of the pottery of ancient Greek art is not aesthetically pleasing to me at all, however I understand that they are communicating and recording an event in history and I respect that. I appreciate the Hellenistic sculptures of ancient Greece purely because they are amazing, and the work put in then in order to achieve the outcome. Numerous are flawless and are very realistic, most carved from marble with astounding detail not to mention the size and the use of no modern technology or tools. My interest in this directed me to an interest in the Baroque Style. The Japanese art of the Edo period led me to an interest in Japanese ukiyo-e woodblock prints other than the famous Katsushika Hokusai I became interested in Utagawa Hiroshige (this then directed me to Van Gogh because he was highly influenced by Hiroshige). Through this I have also taken an interest in many contemporary Japanese artists (Takashi Murakami) and styles of art.

7. What cultural influence has occurred in your life. Give examples…

There are heaps of cultural influences in my life but I think the main cultural influence in my life is the Greek culture as it is my heritage, however I also think that I'm am highly influenced by pop culture. I still I make my own decisions (even if they are sometimes influenced by society) like the brands and the newest technology I spend money on, I do not cut off everything else because society has deemed it to be unpopular, in some cases I find myself drawn to certain things because I like them and no-one else does, such as minorities. I think the Australian culture has also been an occurring influenced in my life, from the wearing of footy shorts and thongs (flip flops), to saying G'day. With having a strong interest in Greek Mythology (from my Greek influence) I looked into Japanese mythology, I believe I'm now influenced also by the Japanese Culture. I think that Japanese block wood printing is very beautiful, and is something I have always wanted to do, because I like the process of creating a woodblock print, it is very practical and I enjoy creating things with my hands.
These influences have occurred in my life and affect the type of music I like, what food I eat, what clothes I wear, who I am and how I act. If I didn't have these influences in my life I would be a different person.


6. Study on graphical representation of personal development


7. Study on investigating the GD industry and jobs

1. Find the names of 10 graphic design agencies on the internet for each, list their services offered
2. For each, list their web address

1) PERCEPT

http://www.percept.com.au

SERVICES

Corporate Identity Design / Logo Design
Branding / Rebranding
Corporate Stationery / Printing
Design for Print / Visual Communications
Marketing Collateral Design / Advertising
Packaging Design / Brand Image Refresh
Website Design / Interactive Media
Website Hosting / Search Engine Optimisation
Content Management Systems / Ecommerce
Company Naming / Brand Name Generation
Creative Concepts / Communications Strategy
Photography / Copy Writing
Offset Print Production / Digital Printing

2) THOMAS MARSDEN

http://www.thomasmarsden.com.au

SERVICES

Corporate Identity
Branding
Art Direction
Photography
Conceptual Development
Copywriting
Script / Story Board
Logo Design
Graphic Design
Web Design
Web Design / Development
Search Engine Optimisation
Ecommerce
iPhone / Mobile Web Design
Email / SMS
Domain Names, Hosting and SSL
Video Production / Editing
Animation / Motion Graphics
Interactive Presentations
Kiosks
DVD Authoring / Duplication
Agency.
Advertising campaigns
Media planning, buying & placement
Marketing strategy
Layout and Design
TVC Production
Script and Production
Signage Solutions
Billboards and Public Displays
Stationery
Brochures / Catalogues
Design and Production

3) CI DESIGN

http://www.cidesign.com.au/services/graphic-design-agency/

SERVICES

Logo and brand development,
Print items such as brochures, annual reports, flyers, banners,
Online and electronic items such as web design, online newsletters,
Advertisements

4) WHITE RHINO

http://www.whiterhino.com.au/

SERVICES

Branding
Brand Mark
Brand Research
Corporate Identity
Corporate Styleguide
Logo Design
Naming
Rollout & Management
Design
Annual Reports
Branded Environment
Corporate Literature
Display & Point of Sale
Illustration
Packaging
Print & Communications
Strategy
Advertising
Communications
Creative
CRM & CSR
Marketing
Web
Content Management System
Email Marketing System
Flash Animation
Interactive & Digital Media
Online Software Applications
Search Engine Marketing
Search Engine Optimisation
Web & Interface Design
Website Development

5) GIRLING DESIGN

http://www.girlingdesign.com.au/'

SERVICES

Logo design
Brochure design
Web design
Poster design
Illustration
Photography

6) THE CREATIVE COMPANY

http://www.thecreativecompany.com.au/

SERVICES

Design
Logo
Packaging
Environmental
Exhibition
Signage
Branding
Corporate ID
Guidelines
Collateral
Brand Strategy
Print
Brochure
Catalogue
Point Of Sale
Annual Report
Posters
Digital
Web Design
Web Development
Online Advertising
E-Newsletters
HTML
Flash Animation
CMS
E-Commerce
Domains & Hosting
SEO
Marketing
Exhibitions
Direct Marketing
Promotions
Strategies
Additional
Photography
Corporate Gifts
Copywriting
Print Production

7) TOAST DESIGN

http://www.toastdesign.com.au/

SERVICES

Packaging Design (FMCG)
Corporate Identity / Branding
Logo Design
Website Design & SEO
Motion Design
Print Design
Advertising
Information Architecture
iPhone App Development
Illustration
Retouching
Marketing & PR

8) AURORA DESIGN

http://www.auroradesign.com.au/home

SERVICES

Corporate stationery
Press advertisements
Promotional material
Newsletters
Magazines / Journals
Brochures and catalogues
Annual reports
Corporate prospectus
Print Management
Presentation folders
Corporate style guides

9) ACID GREEN

http://www.acidgreen.com.au/design.html

SERVICES

logo design
corporate identity,
web design,
advertising design,
flash design,
graphic print design
(stationery design,
marketing card design,
presentation folder design,
flyer design,
brochure design,
catalogue design,
poster design, etc).

10) SIGMA INFOTECH

http://www.sigmainfotech.com.au/graphicsdesign.htm

SERVICES

Site Design & IT Business Services
Website Design
Search Engine Optimisation
e-Commerce
On Line Marketing
Graphic Design
One–off Web Applications
Software Development
IT Consulting

3. Research Graphic Design jobs in Australia and write a small summary on what is out there and how much money is on offer for different responsibilities.

Graphic design, requires determination and commitment as well as talent and style. It takes a little more than skill to become a great graphic designer, the graphic design industry is competitive and in the beginning of your career you might get stuck with the crappy assignments. However if you stick it out it will pay off in the long run literally through the salary and metaphorically through the experience and growth throughout your career.

The number of different factors that affect everyone and the job they do makes it hard to just calculate an accurate salary of what a graphic designer will earn these include: Job position, location, education/skill level, years of experience and the workload and size of the company you work for all influence your pay at the end of the day.

From researching a few sites here is a just a little estimate and insight of what some jobs in the industry can earn...and well above (depending on the factors).

Owner, Partner, Principal $105,000>
Creative / Design Director $100,000>
Art Director $75,000- $100,000>
Senior Designer $65,000- $100,000>
Print Production Manager $62,000- $100,000>
Web Designer $55,000 - $100,000- $100,000>
Print Production Artist $47,500- $100,000>
Designer $45,000- $100,000>
Entry-Level Designer $36,000- $100,000>

Most business's hiring/employing are looking for Certified Graphic Designers with a Portfolio, Commercial experience, Teamwork skills, Artistic Sensibility (knowledge about design elements), Technical Skill (the technical skills to use design software programs such as Quark Xpress, Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign etc and sometimes even knowledge of HTML and Flash), Communication Ability (to effectively present ideas—both verbally and visually), Organization (in order to meet deadlines and stay within a budget), Problem Solving (choosing just the right colours, fonts and lines to create a balanced composition, with meaning)....and a passion for design.

Most Graphic Design jobs are located in major cities where the companies are based and work is never-ending however there is a broad range of freelance jobs through-out Australia. Sydney is a major location of the Graphic design industry and therefore employment.


8. Study on the technical challenges of Graphic Design

1. What are they?
Some technical challenges of Graphic Design include, Artistic Sensibility the knowledge about design elements, The technical skills to use design software programs and equipment(s), Communication Ability to effectively present ideas (both verbally and visually), Organization in order to meet deadlines and stay within a budget, and Problem Solving choosing the right colours, fonts and lines to create a balanced composition, with meaning.

2. How do we solve them?
Technical challenges can differ in the amount of time needed in order to solve them, experience would be the main factor that helps solve technical problems. However many other factors can also help, reading design books and taking courses can help in solving technical challenges in relation to artistic sensibility, communication, and organisation. Magazines specifically for Graphic design are very helpful and keep you updated with the current trends and information of the industry. In relation to technical skills this challenge can be solved with practice and gathering knowledge about software, and equipment. Tutorials, workshops, and courses, help however extensive time on the different platforms, the use of printers and using the software will solve the technical challenge.

3. What resources are out there?
Some resources for graphic designers include, courses, workshops, magazines, books, tutorials, software, technology (computer/laptop, screen, mouse, Wacom, external hard drives, printer, camera), and the internet (websites).

4. What is your annual budget to pay for these resources?
I personally do not have an annual budget more a (changing) weekly budget, but based on an access of $50 left over after bills each week, my annual budget would be $2600.
Out of that money $1000 was used for the foundation course, $2000 was used for the laptop, and software. And the rest was bought as it was needed and funds were shuffled to make up the costs. As I am already under budget, I could not buy a magazine each week but with the other resources that were needed, if I need it then it's not arguable.

5. How could an ABN benefit your financial approach to these resources?
Having an ABN would benefit me greatly I wouldn't have a budget but I wouldn't be limited and could buy all the recourses for business purposes and claim them through tax.

6. How do the major platforms (MAC / PC) affect technical approaches to projects?
The major platforms being Mac and PC can affect the technical approaches to certain projects. Ultimately it comes down to personal choice and It should be noted that Mac's are very reliable and easy to work with, as are PC's. However one platform excels in video production being the Mac and in relation to Web design a PC excels. The Adobe suite runs on both Mac's and PC's, and both are capable of the same outcome. This is based on the notion that both platforms have the ability of running the adobe suite and all this must be taken into consideration, that both platforms have enough memory, fast processing capabilities, and hard disk capacity that can complete the task with no or minimal hassles.
From experience I prefer a PC, my PC is capable of doing what I want and I am also more confident using the PC platform.

9. Study on criticism and psychology of the critical process

1. How did you perform in critiquing your assigned map?
I believe I performed okay in critiquing Mitch's map, I could have followed the guidelines provided a bit more. However I did as well as I could considering that the map wasn't finished, I said what was obvious and what I thought, from a critical view.

2. How did the student critiquing your work perform?
I believe Sally performed well in critiquing my map, most of it was sound and positive however I think she was holding back and she could have been a little bit more thorough. Overall she and the class provided fine and helpful feedback.

3. How has the critiquing process improved you map?
I took the critiques into consideration and used them to improve my map, I think the feedback helped point me in the right direction. I fixed what was suggested that needed fixing the swans eyes, proportions, less details in parliament house and I changed what needed changing simplifying and not using the compass. By doing so it has helped me progress with my map.

4. Is there any criticism that you are going to ignore and if so, why?
No there isn't any criticism that I am going to ignore, I think that the critique helped point me in the right direction. And I believe that the criticism provided was factual and has helped me see what I couldn't see before, in order to improve my work.

5. What attitude should you take into a critique? Why?
It's not personal critiquing someone's work, it is a form of feedback which should be professional in both parties (the speaker who is critiquing and the listener who is receiving the critique). This is the attitude that you should take into a critique, It's always good to have feedback even if it bad it helps us to evolve and progress.

6. How can you prepare to give criticism?
Researching the work before hand is always good when preparing to provide criticism. This may be the first time you see the work you are critiquing, so it's always good to have some notes in order to help you provide the best feedback. Keep it professional, and provide factual critiques in order to back-up what you are saying and not just pull something out of the air. If you are ever questioned about what you said you can always provide the basis behind it.

7. Are there some general guidelines in Graphic Design that can help you provide criticism? What are they?
Yes, there are some general guidelines that can help provide criticism they include Technique, Concept, Colour, Typography, Style, Composition (Balance, Direction, Focal point), Perspective, Harmony/Dissonance, and most importantly does it have a function?, and is it appropriate to the brief?

"What is critical theory and how do you think some aspects of it relates generally yo Graphic Design?"


Critical theory is an examination of society and culture through a critical thought process. It is a way of looking at and understanding the world. To think critical one must question the unthought-of assumptions in the way we think and help us perceive things in a more motivating and functional way.

Critical theory has many connections to graphic design in both practice and theory, throughout the context and function. Many other aspects of critical theory include examination, structure, and factorial notions. Being critical involves being curious, not forsaking things, but being skeptical, identifying issues, limitations and constructing a contrary view (Poynor, 2004).

As a Graphic Designer our job is to provide a solution, by means of problem solving. Deciding what are the right colours, fonts and lines to create and use in a balanced composition, with meaning behind it. Consequentially this enables us make critical decisions based on the situation and how the problem can be solved in order to better our designs. Criticism depends on two things, a collection of outlets and a organization of people to provide and supply criticism (Poynor, 2004).
Graphic design can also be viewed like this, it too needs a range of suitable outlets and a body of people to provide and supply the graphic design.

Examining and understanding the world cannot be achieved through one sided information, you must be critical through the structure, and factorial notions in order to realize certain conclusions. In relation to graphic design the same can be said towards the practice of art, unless we examine and understand parts of the methods, artists, styles and the work themselves we become limited. Critical theory asks what, how and why people think and how they determine or not determine their thoughts, actions and what they mean. In relation to graphic design, we examine how context is perceived by people and how it is interpreted visually from different societies and cultures. Through the structure, factorial notions, the context and function we make these conclusions and use them to create assumptions in which we then base our ideas and work from.

For example, Z can be viewed as structure, pretend Z is a duck, the facts indicate along with the structure that Z is a duck because it has a beak, wings and quacks. If you change the structure to a cat or the facts that it has paws, a long tail and meows then Z is no longer a duck. Changing the structure or the facts about Z alters the feedback, and the way Z is perceived (Carel, Gamez, 2004). I believe that If the structure and facts are in tack, people can still make the wrong decision based on their personal experiences, the same can be said with design work. Even with the right structure and facts some people will never make the connection and will either see structure or fact but never both. This could be a challenge for the designer to overcome through a working process and critical analyse on themselves or even solve through their work, for society.

Deconstruction is a strategy of critical form-making, it is part of a broader field of criticism know as post structuralism. Deconstruction was instated by the philosopher Jacques Derrida. Mark Wigley an architect and author wrote, ‘A deconstructive architect is…not one who dismantles buildings, but one who locates the inherent dilemmas within buildings' (Lupton - 2004). Deconstruction has been incorporated into graphic design, however I believe that in Wigley's writings deconstruction can be viewed as a method of problem solving. Deconstruction in particularly was incorporated into typography, by creating designs that are focused around content, language and form rather than convention or function. Traditional typography techniques are continually changing and new innovative styles are assimilating and emerging (Laursen, 2009). The same can be said for Graphic Design, or design as a whole, in general.

According to Derrida, "the functions of repetition, quotation, and fragmentation that characterize writing are conditions endemic to all human expression—even the seemingly spontaneous, self-present utterances of speech or the smooth, naturalistic surfaces of painting and photography. Design can critically engage the mechanics of representation, exposing and revising its ideological biases; design also can remake the grammar of communication by discovering structures and patterns within the material media of visual and verbal writing" (Lupton - 2004). I believe Derrida is saying that design does make connections with what people see and how they make assumptions of a person or object based on its design. He is also saying that all humans have certain characteristics that we share and are common to us all through expression. In graphic design we make designs that will impact on people and get their attention, but the assumptions they make are based on their knowledge and cultural awareness. In order to make them perceive what we want them to, we must as designers use common ideologies in order to interpret and come to the same conclusion.

Derrida based his work on Marxism, feminism, semiotics and anthropology, his focus included the themes and descriptive qualities of his objects. In her writings of deconstruction and graphic design, in conjunction with critical theory Ellen Lupton a Writer, curator, critic and graphic designer, believed that In Derrida’s original theory, deconstruction asks a question: how does representation inhabit reality? How does the external appearance of a thing get inside its internal essence? and How does the surface get under the skin? (Lupton - 2004). It is not easy to understand these methods however the first step is to deconstruct the theory and information structure which produce a false impression of one conclusion. This deconstruction method clarifies how and sequentially exposes the connections and the ideological frameworks, in order to make our own assumptions.

Rick Poynor a Design critic and writer, believes that to be a critic you have to be a supporter, an advocate, you must find faults and contest, otherwise you aren't really a critic. In graphic design I believe it is practical to view both sides in order to fully comprehend the idealistic wants of society. A critical thinker will analyse and influence that an idea or object is deserving of your attention (Poynor, 2004). In graphic design we too must analyse people and persuade their interest through an idea or object in order to formulate a connection, we inform as we inquire (Heller, 2004).

As a designer the ability to have critical thoughts and conclusions, based on a theory which may or not be true is the same as choosing a colour that may or not be right. However based on the facts and through intense evaluation to the best of your ability and critical analysis it is the gathering of information that will influence you and your conscience which will lead you to your end result and the reason why you choose that particular colour. As it is the same that you think that particular thought. And more than likely you are not the only one, epistemology is an awareness of knowing what we know and learning what we don’t, but also the extent of what knowledge we have and the limitations of our knowledge.

Having this awareness and understanding of ourselves enables us to think about thinking and think about what people's thoughts are. Graphic designers influence society through peoples critical perspectives through the use of designs that make you feel, think, and act a certain way. Practicing the deconstruction method in Graphic Design we demonstrate that everything should be questioned. By having this and using the ability to ask questions, it will help you in accomplishing task's better even by using your critical perspective to sometimes provide means that challenge a person or society, this may not be the norm. However I believe that this is practical and it shows we can think for ourselves as decision makers not followers based on factual notions. Many aspects of society and culture such as literature, painting, philosophy, politics, and technology, have influenced the graphic designer. Taking time or making time to think will be rewarding in the end, it will help you to better analyse how your thoughts, your actions, what you perceive and the same with others around you this will help to build a critical perspective . Critical thinking gives you a self knowledge It can help you, as we are problem solvers we use information in order to change the influence on society, culture and in turn the world, through our designs.

Philosophy is like a layer of onions as is critical theory, however the difference is one is a suggestion of a range of theoretical approaches, (Carel, Gamez, 2004). Whereas critical theory is an approach and that no matter how many layers you peel back you will never reach the core, because it is such a broad concept and can be applied to many subjects.

The same can be said in relation to Graphic Design, it is a broad industry and is applied to everything, from the unthought-of assumptions of the designer and into society through to the design process, methods and finally the completed work, which at all times are being questioned or should at least be. I believe primarily that in the end being critical will help to you to access societies wants and needs and consequently enabling you to provide them through design.








Bibliography
• Ellen Lupton http://www.typotheque.com/articles/deconstruction_and_graphic_design_history_meets_theory - 2004

http://elupton.com/2009/10/critical-wayfinding/ - 1993

http://elupton.com/2009/10/modern-design-theory/ - 1988

• Rick Poynor - 2004
http://www.typotheque.com/articles/the_time_for_being_against

• Steven Heller - 2004
http://www.typotheque.com/articles/the_small_crit

http://www.typotheque.com/articles/design_history

• Jay David Bolter
Theory and Practice in New Media Studies

• Havi Carel and David Gamez- 2004
What Philosophy Is?

• Stefan Sagmeister- 2004
http://www.typotheque.com/articles/how_good_is_good

• Nicolet Laursen - 2009
http://nicoletlaursen.com/2007/09/a-brave-new-world-understanding-deconstruction/

• Matt Cossu- 2009
1ooo idea by 100 graphic designers

No comments:

Post a Comment